Sunday, November 30, 2014

Nail Challenge Collaborative: Inspired by a Book #4 (Divergent)

Hi everyone! I'm back with my last Inspired by a Book mani, just under the wire! :) I saved my favorite one for last. I had some ideas in my head for this one, but I just kinda went with it and I love how it turned out!!

The final book I chose to recreate is: Divergent!!


I really loved the first book - as soon as I started, I was hooked. And I flew through the other two books after that. I kind of liked the first movie; I did think there were some differences that would have been easy enough to fix to match the book, so those little things bugged me a bit, but it wasn't bad. Of course, I liked the books better, but isn't that always the case? :)

For this mani, I did designs reminding me of the factions! In these photos, I kind of put the factions in the order that they would fit for me. Amity is where I think I'd be most at home, Erudite second, Abnegation third and Dauntless dead last lol! I wasn't really sure where Candor would fall on the list, so it got the place on my thumb haha. It probably would fall in between Erudite and Abnegation, I think.


For those of you who haven't read the books, I'll post a quick description of each faction to explain why I did each design (from Wikipedia).

Amity (the peaceful): Amity is a faction that dislikes war, discord, and strife of any kind. They blame aggression as the root of all evil. Even the food that they eat contains a peace serum, meant to prevent the faction members from fighting. The members wear comfortable red or yellow clothing. Their main contribution to society is growing crops, and they work closely with Erudite to develop new methods of farming. Amity's Choosing Ceremony substance is a bowl of earth, symbolizing their dedication to the environment.

Erudite (the intelligent): Erudite was formed by those who blamed human ignorance for the faults of society. They formed Erudite as a way of eliminating ignorance and darkness from human minds. Their symbol is a single blue eye that most likely represents their knowledge of the world. Each member must wear at least one article of blue clothing per day. Erudite's main color is blue, as it is a "calming color that helps stimulate the brain".

Abnegation (the selfless): Abnegation was formed by those who blamed selfishness for human nature's errors. They believe in selfless action and attaining peace through the elimination of selfishness. In doing so they are expected by the faction to devote themselves to only serving others. Abnegation value the virtue of selflessness over any other. The main goal of Abnegation is to forget oneself and serve others, so they wear all gray to be less noticeable. Abnegation clothes are also typically very baggy. Gray robes, pants, and t-shirts are common dress. Abnegation's Choosing Ceremony substance is a pile of gray stones, which represent simplicity and humbleness.

Dauntless (the brave): Dauntless was a faction formed by those who blamed cowardice for society's problems. The only answer is to face your fears through bravery. The Dauntless value the virtue of bravery over any other, as such they train to fight and use weapons to prepare their bodies to respond to threats and challenges, which is necessary if they want to survive life as a Dauntless member. Dauntless always dress in black. The women wear skin-tight pants, tights, tight dresses, and black boots and shoes. The men wear black pants and form-fitting shirts. Dauntless like to tattoo and pierce their bodies, men and women alike. Girls might wear dark eyeliner and makeup. They might also dye their hair in unusual colours. Dauntless's Choosing Ceremony substance is lit coals, symbolizing their fiery passion for what they do.

Candor (the honest): The Candor value honesty and cannot tell a lie. They say whatever is the truth, even if it gets them into trouble. Candor children are taught to speak their minds at every moment. They are often lawyers, because they are truthful about everything. The Candor believe that truth is black and white, so that is what they wear. Candor's Choosing Ceremony substance is glass, representing not only transparency but also that the truth can be cutting.


For the Amity nail, I did a gradient using Sinful Colors Let's Meet, Orange Crush, and Under 18 and then I stamped the tree using a MoYou Mother Nature plate. The Erudite nail is Sinful Shine Most Sinful and then stamped with white using a Bundle Monster plate I think. The Abnegation nail is Sinful Colors Cool Gray, Tantalize, and Smokin, topped with NYC's Matte topcoat. And, the Dauntless nail is Sinful Colors Black on Black, and I sponged Pahlish Three French Hens on the tip to look like fire. The Candor nail is Sinful Colors Black on Black and Snow Me White.


I wore this mani for almost a week, because I loved the look of it, and also because it took me forever lol. Most of the nails were simple enough, but I had to redo the Amity nail 3 different times because I'm still not very good at stamping with MoYou plates. I end up with too much of the image, or the wrong part, or missing part of it haha. Hopefully I'll get better with practice! I had never tried those kinds of images before MoYou. If anyone has any tips, I'd love to hear them!

Remember to check out the other ladies' posts below for the final week of this November theme. I had a lot of fun trying to think outside the box for this month, I'm really happy that I was able to push myself and get all these done too.

Thanks for looking! I'd love to hear your thoughts below. <3
Kelly


1 comment:

I love to read your thoughts and opinions, so please comment below! I read them all and try to respond to each and every one :) Please be respectful and no link dropping - any such comments will be deleted. If you want me to check out your blog, email me at nailsforthesakeofsanity@gmail.com. Thanks <3