Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Nail Challenge Collaborative: Inspired by a Book #2 (Hunger Games)

Hey guys! Today I'm back with my second look for the Nail Challenge Collaborative for this month. As I mentioned yesterday, this month's theme is Inspired by a Book. 

I chose another series for today's look - Hunger Games! When I first started out blogging, I tried making sets of nails inspired by the districts but I haven't really revisited since then, so I was excited to draw on the districts for inspiration again. I looked through what the various districts' specialties were (it's been a while since I read the books!) and ultimately settled on District 1, District 2, District 4 and District 11 because when I reread the list, these ones had images that popped into my head for nail art. 


District 1 specializes in luxury items, and are considered to be the wealthiest district. To me, this brought to mind extravagance, diamonds, gems, etc. So I started with a silver base of Zoya Trixie, added a topcoat of Gelous, and stuck some iridescent rhinestones in while that was still wet.
District 2 is known for masonry, which I immediately pictured bricks. I had never attempted a brick nail, but this was harder than I thought! I started with a base of an unnamed oxblood Covergirl polish and then I sponged Zoya Cheryl overtop. I used a Stripe Rite brush in white to create the lines in the bricks.
District 4's speciality is fishing/sea life, This of course, brought to mind fish, water, and mermaids haha. I started with Zoya Giovanna and then sponged Zoya Zuza overtop, then I stamped some scales using Zoya Trixie. Unfortunately, the shimmer/sparkle in Zuza made it so the scales were nearly invisible in photos. They showed up really nicely in the shade, but the photos didn't really come out in that low of light.
Lastly, District 11 is in charge of agriculture. I like this district a lot because of Rue, and the old man in the crowd. The feels. :[ I used a mushroomy colored base - it was an OPI that I can't quite remember the name of. I know it was Suzi something! Then I stamped a tree/leaf looking thing using Mentality Bandit. I felt like it looked agricultural haha :)


I thought this look was really fun! I love the variety of designs, but I felt like they still mesh well together. Here's a shot with flash. :)


And, I've included a macro shot of my District 1 nail because this was my favorite one! I loved how the rhinestones changed colors in different lighting. Even though this nail wasn't very practical, it lasted a lot longer than I thought it would. I even made it through sleeping without losing a single rhinestone!


Overall I really loved how this came out. It's kind of eclectic but I like that about it. Plus, it made me really excited to see the next movie. Come on, payday! :)
I'd love to hear your thoughts on this look! And don't forget to check out what everyone else has created for this weeks' mani - see the links below.

Thanks for reading
<3 Kelly


2 comments:

I love to read your thoughts and opinions, so please comment below! I read them all and try to respond to each and every one :) Please be respectful and no link dropping - any such comments will be deleted. If you want me to check out your blog, email me at nailsforthesakeofsanity@gmail.com. Thanks <3