Sunday, November 4, 2012

Everybody has fails...Cult Nails Seduction

First off, let me be clear - the polish is not the fail here - my application of it is!! I was not even going to post this mani, but then I thought, what the heck - this blog is about my adventures in nail polish, good and bad! SO I figured I would share it so maybe you all can learn from my mistake :]
When Cult Nails had their sale recently, I jumped on the opportunity because I didn't own ANY CN polishes - crazy, right!? So I picked up three (Seduction, Captivated, and I Got Distracted) plus the Wicked Fast topcoat, because I'd heard rave reviews.
I was SO excited to try the first one (boyfriend picked Seduction) that I didn't swatch on a swatch wheel first, which would have saved me the trouble and the "fail" I mention in the title. But before we get to that, check out the pretty bottle shot.



 Gorgeous, rfight? So what's the problem? This polish is super, super sheer. I totally should have layered it. By the time I realized, it was too late, and I just went with it. The photos you see below show FIVE coats of Seduction with SV overtop. It would have worked fine, except for the dragging off the tips. I even tried to wrap them and could not fix it. It drove me nuts and I took it off immediately, lol.

Cult Nails Seduction
Cult Nails Seduction
Cult Nails Seduction, in direct sunlight
Lesson learned? This polish will be AMAZING over purple or even black undies, but layering five coats in an attempt for opacity is a huge pain. Next time I will definitely try different undies and share the results with you!

Have you guys experienced any recent fails?? Tell me about them! I'd love to feel like I'm not alone!
Thanks for reading! <3

Kelly

14 comments:

  1. LOL!! That's too cute Kelly!! You worked your hardest to get that to be opaque!! :P I actually added more pigment to my polishes so that they'll be more opaque in 2 layers. I'm worried that they'll be too pigmented now!! I don't think this was a fail though!! Now you know and will make sure to put it on top of a base coat! I've learned that the hard way, too!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, I sure did, but that sucker was not having it!!! It wasn't a total fail, but those tips drove me nuts haha!! I bet they're still not too pigmented - I do love them the way they are though! I will have to be buying another one of yours before your discount runs out ;]

      Delete
  2. I had this experience with Sinful Colors Cinderella. Seven coats later... GAH. That colour is great though. I'm really disappointed I missed the sale, there was a green I want pretty badly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Argh 7??? You've totally got me beat lol!! I'm sure they will have another one! I couldn't afford it otherwise :/

      Delete
  3. You girls definately have more patience than me...5 coats, 7 coats. Yikes! This color is amazing non the less!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I do love the color, so I will definitely give it another shot with a base color underneath :]

      Delete
  4. Wow, 5 coats! I think I would've stopped at 3 and called it a day! :) I probably is stunning over black! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I really should have! I will definitely post when I try layering it - I'm excited to see how it turns out! :]

      Delete
  5. Your nails look fine! It's not a fail so much as a lesson learned. I've had 2 manis in the last week not turn out as I had hoped they would. My jack-o-lanterns last Sunday looked more like psycho carrots & the free hand design I did on Monday to replace the carrots turned out clunky with thick lines rather than the graceful strokes the inspiration mani I was CASEing had. Lesson learned? I need more practice, lots & lots of practice! LOL We all have those manis those don't turn out as we'd envisioned them. This doesn't mean we failed! We just need to keep learning, practicing & enjoy the ride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, I lol'd at psycho carrots. I love the way you look at it - it's so true, everything's an experience and I definitely learn from every mani I post! Thanks for the perspective :D

      Delete
  6. Wow, it is a great purple!!! And your nails really don't look THAT bad at all!!! They're pretty good!!!! Although 5 coats is annoying... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for saying so! I just hate the look of those tips! It looks like I have awful tip wear when really this is right after I painted it :p Oh well, it still is a pretty color for sure :D

      Delete
  7. Hahaha! When I run into the super sheer colors I stop at 3 coats and call it 'meant to be.' More than that many coats and its too likely to have user error. I have enough issues with 2 coats some days that more than 2 is asking for trouble. Its still pretty. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your thoughts and opinions, so please comment below! I read them all and try to respond to each and every one :) Please be respectful and no link dropping - any such comments will be deleted. If you want me to check out your blog, email me at nailsforthesakeofsanity@gmail.com. Thanks <3