Monday, June 17, 2013

Review: Nail Pattern Boldness Glitter Food over Vivid Lacquer Harlequin's Adoration

Today I've got a long overdue review for you, and it's kind of a double feature. You get to see one of my all-time favorite manis PLUS a review of a must-have for any indie-loving nail blogger: Glitter Food!!

The mani I'm using to show you how Glitter Food works features China Glaze Elephant Walk topped with Vivid Lacquer Harlequin's Adoration. I absolutely love Harlequin's Adoration. So far, my favorite layering combo has been with grey, so that's what I've used here. 
Check out a macro of this amazing polish in the bottle:


Okay, this first series of photos shows one generous coat of Harlequin's Adoration over two coats of Elephant Walk, with no topcoat.



It's a bit hard to see, but the edges of the hearts and diamonds were sticking up a bit. Enough to be annoying if I wore it out like this. Plus, the little black hexes left a textured feel that's just unpleasant for me. Honestly, I don't know how anyone goes without topcoat ever, but that's besides the point!




After your mani is completed to your liking, then comes the Glitter Food. We've all heard of "topcoat hungry" glitters - when I think of that term, I think microglitters or super dense glitters. Harlequin's Adoration isn't really one of those polishes, but I thought it might be interesting to see how GF works with large shaped glitter, which can be a pain in the butt sometimes!


The following photos are the same mani with just one coat of Glitter Food. Please ignore that stupid cat hair, UGH! Lol, I didn't notice until I was already editing.


You can see, especially in this closeup of my thumb, how it gives the mani an almost matte effect, so you will definitely want to follow up with your favorite topcoat.



I think this next picture shows really clearly how much smoother the GF made the surface of this mani. Look at my ring finger, for example. That heart on the top that was sticking up before is now completely flat. You can see it on my index finger too, since it's at an angle where you could tell if anything was sticking up. When I ran my finger over these nails, it felt completely flat and smooth. Amazing!


BUT, like I mentioned, if you want shine,  you're going to need to go back in with your usual topcoat. I went with Seche Vite. Just one coat will do fine - it's just to add a glossy finish.


Look how shiny! I like it so much better that way. It really shows off the amazing flecks/shimmer in Harlequin's Adoration. Check out my ring and middle finger to see what I mean!






This mani was gorgeous and I think I wore it for an entire work week before I finally took it off. The best part was that even though it's packed full of large shaped glitters, it LASTED on me because I had no urge to pick them off! (I'll admit it - I'm a picker. When I feel the slightest bit of a glitter sticking up, I can't help but pick it off).

Overall, my opinion is that if you are a nail blogger who works with topcoat hungry glitters, shaped glitters, microglitters, or any polish that might be somewhat textured, Glitter Food is a MUST HAVE. I haven't gotten a chance to try it out with its other purpose, which is to bring suspension to glitters that have fallen "flat", but I will soon!

I'd love to hear what you think of this mani!! Do you own Glitter Food? What do you think of it?? It's been a lifesaver for me :)

1 comment:

I love to read your thoughts and opinions, so please comment below! I read them all and try to respond to each and every one :) Please be respectful and no link dropping - any such comments will be deleted. If you want me to check out your blog, email me at nailsforthesakeofsanity@gmail.com. Thanks <3