Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Nail Challenge Collaborative: Geometric #2 (Tribal)

Hi guys! I've got my second geometric look for the Nail Challenge Collaborative today! A while back, I got a Nail Art Society kit that included Sally Hansen nail art pens in black and yellow. I had a heck of a time trying to use these pens on a regular mani, so I thought, why not try it over a texture? On a glossy, flat surface, the nail art pen polish seemed to slide all over and pool into the cuticles. I couldn't get it to stay where I put it and it was so frustrating. Check out the difference when I used a textured base...


I used 2 coats of China Glaze Bump and Grind to start with. Once that was dry, I used the Sally Hansen nail art pen in black to draw some tribal designs. When using a textured base, the nail art pen's polish adhered much better! It didn't drip around or pool, it felt like using an actual pen or marker. It was super easy to get the designs I wanted. I did have a little trouble with pooling in the cuticle on my middle finger, but it was user error that time - I got too close to the cuticle lol.


I loved this design and I thought it was so different and eye catching - especially these colors together! I can't wait to try some other freehand designs with these pens on textured polishes. I think a matte finish might work too, but I haven't tried it yet. I just think a glossy, topcoated design was too slippery for the polish to hold onto.


And, for good measure, one more with flash! I really love this hot pink. I like these textured polishes by China Glaze too. The creme look is something different. They're not scratchy so they don't catch on your clothes or in your hair either! :)


What do you think of this mani? Do you have any tips and tricks for using the Sally Hansen nail art pens? I'd love to hear!
And don't forget to check out the other ladies' looks for week 2! :)


2 comments:

  1. What awesome tribal nails! Like it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love textured polishes and if they come in such pretty colors, even better. The tribal nail art on it is very cool!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your thoughts and opinions, so please comment below! I read them all and try to respond to each and every one :) Please be respectful and no link dropping - any such comments will be deleted. If you want me to check out your blog, email me at nailsforthesakeofsanity@gmail.com. Thanks <3