Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Nail Challenge Collaborative: Geometric #4 (Squares)

OOOOOPS - I goofed. My first month back in the Nail Challenge Collaborative and I'm already late! For some reason in my head, there was no way October could be here already, so I felt like I had another day to post this, haha.

Regardless, today I'll be sharing my final mani for September's Geometric theme. This is the one I had in my head all along, but I knew it was not going to be easy, so I saved it for last. I was inspired by Robin Moses' Geometric Fall Retro Squares, which you can see the video for here


This was hard! In her video, Robin uses foils for her base. Well, I don't have any foils, nor do I really understand how they work, try as I might...anyways, I decided I could use a metallic base and it would still look pretty. So, I started with a base of Milani Bridesmaid on all the nails. Then, I prepared the colors I wanted to use for the squares. I used: Zoya Natty, China Glaze Life Preserver (finally found a burntish orange creme! Though I am still DISO OPI Chopsticking to my Story and Ginger Bells), and OPI Just a Little Rosti at This.


I used one of my longer striping brushes that I received in a kit from Born Pretty Store, and I dabbed it into little drops of polish that I had dropped onto my "palette." I use the lids from Bath and Body Works candles as palettes when doing nail art, haha! They're pretty and functional at the same time. :) I painted the the red squares first, then went in with the blue, and did the orange last. I kinda sorta tried to follow some of the patterns Robin did, but I ended up kind of winging it. I finished it off with a coat of HK Girl topcoat.


It was really tough keeping my hands steady enough and trying to make straight lines for the squares! But, I ultimately love the way it turned out. Next time, I'm going to have to try out some nail foils (maybe)!


I really do love the "retro" look of the mani, as Robin pointed out, and I do think the colors are great for fall. The hard work and effort it took was well worth it in my opinion! :)

What do you think of this mani? I'd love to hear below! And be sure to check out the rest of the ladies' final looks for September too! Thanks for reading <3

Kelly


1 comment:

I love to read your thoughts and opinions, so please comment below! I read them all and try to respond to each and every one :) Please be respectful and no link dropping - any such comments will be deleted. If you want me to check out your blog, email me at nailsforthesakeofsanity@gmail.com. Thanks <3