Sunday, July 1, 2012

Summer Challenge Day 1: Bees!

Well, the day is finally here and I am SO excited - the first day of my first nail art challenge EVER!! I really hope I can keep up with each day with work, but I think since it's every other it will be so much easier than most other challenges that are every day :] Thanks Theodora and Kaki for coming up with this challenge!

So, for those of you who are not doing the challenge, or don't know, I'll post a picture of the challenge first.


So, for day 1, the subject is bees! I never thought I would be doing a manicure of something I'm allergic to, but here I am anyway! Maybe Codeine for the next mani ;]
Anyway - I decided to combine two bee designs that I've seen while Googling, and what I came up with was this! (This is pre-cleanup of course - normally my nail arts will not be so sloppy - I hope!)


Right hand...


And left hand!! Now, for my self-critical comments. I really do love this mani and I thought it was great for summer. BUT - I used a toothpick to make the dotted line, and sometimes the black polish I had put on a CD for dipping out of, got a little bit hardened and so it became sticky, leaving a trail between dots. You can especially see this in the second picture on the pointer finger nail. Next time I would refresh my dotting pool more often! I also would probably tape my thumbs because one of the yellows I used (Manishma Lightening) is obviously very staining. The blue (Wet n Wild I Need a Refresh-Mint) came off so, so much easier. I'm also still learning how to clean up the cuticles and edges using acetone and a thin brush - a technique I saw on The Nailasaurus. So, you can see that sometimes I slipped and took off too much (i.e. middle finger on the left hand). Other than that, I thought this was a fun mani and something I will try to recreate in the future once I get better at nail art! Thanks for checking out my blog and definitely look out for some of the other bloggers taking part in this challenge :D Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Kelly



11 comments:

  1. LOVE IT. Such a good job! Glad to have you on board. I can't find your email, so email me at obsessedwithglitter(at)gmail and I'll email you the info to add the Inlinkz tool for your posts. I'll add this for ya, but all you have to do is click the link on the tool to add your design to it and it'll upload it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need an email to upload the picture, so I can't add it. Sorry!

      Delete
  2. Thanks!! I think I got it uploaded but I'm not sure. I'm not the best with that stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's showing up. I emailed you the link to get the code, so let me know if you have any problems!

      Delete
  3. OMG cute little bumble bee...!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so cute!!!

    P.s, I don't know if you know but you have your word verification on
    so anyone that comments has to enter those tricky blurry words lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I did not know that, but I've taken it off now. I hate those things, haha.

      Delete
  5. I love the thumb, it really makes the difference! I made a bee inspired design too Like a Bee :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The thumb is just too cute ;) The mani looks really pretty!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your thoughts and opinions, so please comment below! I read them all and try to respond to each and every one :) Please be respectful and no link dropping - any such comments will be deleted. If you want me to check out your blog, email me at nailsforthesakeofsanity@gmail.com. Thanks <3