Thursday, July 5, 2012

Summer Challenge Day 3: Favorite Summer Song

Well, I think this was one of the harder manis I've ever done! When I first thought about, "what IS my favorite summer song?" the first thing to pop into my head was something country. I first started getting into country music about 5 or 6 years ago when my roommate got me over my resistance, and once I stopped avoiding listening to it, I realized I liked it a lot! But anyway, over the years, I've heard many country songs that just remind me of the beach, the sun, no school, hanging out with friends, etc - and the main one that kept replaying in my head when thinking about this challenge was "Summertime" by Kenny Chesney. Then came the task of figuring out what to do with that!! I eventually decided to try painting different elements from the chorus and it turned out better than I'd hoped!
So, for anyone who doesn't know the song, the chorus is: "It's two bare feet on the dashboard, young love and an old Ford; cheap shades and a tattoo and a Yoohoo bottle on the floorboards; perfect song on the radio, sing along cause it's one we know; it's a smile, it's a kiss, it's a sip of wine, it's summertime."


Here's the finished product! I am actually really proud of how this turned out. Obviously there are always things that need improvement but overall I really like it - it's fun and I feel like it illustrates the song pretty well :]


A close-up of my "Yoohoo" bottle logo. I was actually surprised at how well this came out because the writing had to be so tiny! I used a few coats of Manisma - Lightening for the background, then I used a toothpick and some white (Sinful Colors Snow Me White) to write Yoohoo. Then I went over the white writing with a dark blue nail art brush (Stripe Rite from Sally's) and underlined it with a streak of Sinful Colors Nail Art - Be My Valentine. I have really shaky hands but I still felt like I managed to do pretty well with this one :}


Here are my "two bare feet on the dashboard." I never realized how hard it was for me to make foot shapes and I doodled quite a few before I got them to be recognizable, haha. I think the polished toes helps of course ;] I used Julep - Claire for the sky, a peach colored L.A. Colors polish from the Dollar Store for the feet, and Julie G's Oh Em Gee! for the toenails. The dashboard is Sinful Colors Black on Black.


And last, here is my Ford logo. I used Revlon's Mysterious for the navy blue background, and then I used a toothpick to try recreating the "Ford" in Snow Me White. My lines could have been cleaner, but again, I surprised myself with this one, because I mean come on - this is my pinky! It's little, haha.
And I didn't get a close up of my "cheap shades" because they looked pretty straightforward in the first picture in my opinion! I topped everything off with two coats of Seche Vite and there you have it - my favorite summer song mani! Definitely check out some of these other ladies - they are keeping me on my toes for sure ;]

Kelly


5 comments:

  1. So cute! I love the feet on the dashboard lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh the feet are so cute!! :D It really represents the song perfectly :) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those feet! So cute feet!! So adorable!!
    I really love how you designed :D

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your thoughts and opinions, so please comment below! I read them all and try to respond to each and every one :) Please be respectful and no link dropping - any such comments will be deleted. If you want me to check out your blog, email me at nailsforthesakeofsanity@gmail.com. Thanks <3