Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Bonita: Witches Ball collection

Hey everyone!! Today I have a collection I am SUPER excited to share with you for a variety of reasons - Bonita Witches Ball collection! Here are the reasons: one, this is the first Halloween collection I've seen out this year. Two, the colors are gorgeous. And three, I FINALLY learned how to do the curved watermark!! More on that later. :)
I walked away from this collection twice when I went to Rite Aid for other things, because I was trying to be good! But, who was I kidding? I went back and got it like three days later because I couldn't stop thinking about it. Halloween is my absolute favorite holiday, and these polishes were so pretty - I couldn't resist!

Now, about this curved watermark. I have been wanting to do this forever, but could never figure it out. A few days ago, I finally caved and asked for help from an amazing IGer named Emily (@BlueEmster) and she managed to do the impossible and help me master the curved watermark!!! I also kinda/sorta used the tutorial posted by Kayla Shevonne, but she used a different version of GIMP so some things were different and I kinda had to wing it (and ask Emily for help). I honestly cannot thank her enough - I never thought I'd be able to do this but I finally got the hang of it. :)

Anyway, onto the swatches (with the curved watermarks!) okay, I'll stop, haha.


These are in no particular order. First of all, I want to do a blanket statement here and say that all (with the except of one) of these polishes had wonderful formulas! They are super smooth, opaque, and the shimmer in these is unreal! In all of these photos (except one, which I'll note) I'm wearing 2 coats of polish with no topcoat.

First up is Lacquer Treats - it's a pink-leaning lavender shimmer. Dry time was really fast! This one could have been a one-coater, but I did 2 out of habit. These photos were taken in the lightbox.




Here's a shot with flash, to really show off the shimmer! Such a pretty purple.


Next up is Wicked Good Time. This is a pale, super reflective, silvery metallic green - almost a foil! It has such a great chrome finish. This one was the closest to a one-coater but I did 2 anyway.
These first few photos were taken in the lightbox.





And of course, a shot with flash!


Next is Too Cute to Spook, a reddish/fuschia with strong purpleish shimmer. It reminds me of a candy apple! This one does need 2 coats as it's a bit less pigmented, but it was flawless by the second coat - no VNL at all.
These first few photos were taken in the lightbox.




This one's a bit more color accurate with the flash. It's more berry colored than the lightbox shows.


Get ready for my hands down favorite of the collection - Cocktails & Carving! It's a perfect creamy pumpkin orange with a stunning golden shimmer! 2 coats, no topcoat.
These were taken in the lightbox.




These few were taken in indirect natural sunlight. The natural light really shows this color most accurately - I never wanted to take this off!



Here's a shot with flash - check out that shimmer! It almost looks like a scattered holo with the flash on :)


Eat, Drink and Be Scary is a dark navy with silver shimmer that reminds me of dark, spooky Halloween nights and starry skies!
These first two photos were taken in the lightbox.



These two were taken in indirect natural sunlight. This color is screaming for some Halloween night nail art, I think! Maybe some tombstones! :)



Lastly, we have Dying to Party - this is the only polish in the entire collection I even had the slightest trouble with, and it was very minimal! That's a successful collection to me! This one was a bit less pigmented, so I needed 3 coats for full opacity. It was also a bit thicker than the other polishes, so I ended up with some unevenness at first, but only because I chose not to use topcoat for these swatches. A coat of Seche Vite or HK Girl would have solved that problem in a snap! And anyway, you can't really see any problem areas in the photos below - once the mani dried, it went away.
Anyway, Dying to Party is a stunning off-white/grey with a strong silver/grey shimmer.
These first photos are in the lightbox.



These next few were taken in natural lighting. This color is so stunning in person. It really reminds me of ghosts! I can't wait to do some nail art with this! :)




I really love how this photo with flash shows off the grey shimmer. This polish is really unique, I really don't have anything quite like it in my collection!



My must-haves for this collection are Cocktails & Carving, and Dying to Party, but it's a great well-rounded collection. I honestly can't wait to use it for some Halloween/fall-themed nail art, and with how pigmented the polishes are, I bet they're going to be great for stamping - especially Wicked Good Time. I will be sure to share as soon as I give it a try!

Be sure to check out Bonita Colors website or stop by your local Rite Aid to see all the colors they offer, and make sure you are following them on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to keep up to date on all the latest colors and collections!

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this collection - which is your favorite? Have you tried any of these shades? I'd love to hear below!

Thanks for reading <3
Kelly

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful swatches and review on this collection! Everything looks very good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are beautiful!! Have you tried stamping with them?? And how much are they at Rite Aid?? Love em!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found you by accident but am a fan after reading this... I walked away from the collection as well but not far from it. LoL I just picked up 3 of the collection yesterday they are all beautiful colors but I fell in love with Cocktails & Carving, Dying to Party and Wicked Good Times. I'm excited to use them and would love to see your nail art. I am in no way as talented or creative as most of you ladies but I love watching the videos and sometimes feel brave or inspired to try out some things.

    Oh to reply to Cheryl Jeffery
    - Rite Aide has them priced at $2.49 each plus tax.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your thoughts and opinions, so please comment below! I read them all and try to respond to each and every one :) Please be respectful and no link dropping - any such comments will be deleted. If you want me to check out your blog, email me at nailsforthesakeofsanity@gmail.com. Thanks <3