Saturday, September 1, 2012

Experimenting: my first jelly sandwich!

Well, I'm sure everyone reading this already knows what a jelly sandwich is, or glitter sandwich, or whatever you want to call it, but it took me forever to really understand it. I'm sure I probably still don't, so don't judge if this is wrong! But the way I think of it, a jelly sandwich is when you sandwich a bold glitter in between layers of a jelly polish, to give the glitters a cool, sort of muted look. I experimented with this recently with a couple polishes that I felt were sheer enough to be considered "jelly". It was tough for me to find a jelly polish in my collection that didn't already have glitter in it! But I found a handful and decided to test them and see how they measured up!


For my glitter, I used Ulta Pinata-Yada. My "jellies" from L to R are Revlon Effervescent Opal, Loreal Tweet Me, and Studio M Total Wow. I layered my sandwich like this: 2 coats of jelly, 2 THICK coats glitter (equivalent of 3 regular coats), 1 coat jelly, 1 coat SV. And here it is!



I really liked how these turned out! I thought this would be a great look for someone who likes a little sparkle, but nothing outrageous. The top layer of jelly really tones down the glitter in an interesting way. I'll definitely be trying out some more combinations. I'm even thinking of making a few jelly frankens to try out in a sandwich - I have tons of chunky glitters to use in the middle!



One last picture in brighter light. So what do you all think? What are your favorite jellies to use in these types of looks?? :]

That's all for now - good night everyone!

Kelly

8 comments:

  1. Great jelly sandwiches!!! I had a hard time finding sheer polishes as well! I was thinking about buying American Apparel Sheer Polish! Just for jelly sandwiches! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great. But how are you getting so much glitter out of Pinada Yada Yada? I only get like 3 or 4 per nail when I use it....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have specified - I'll edit the post. I was using 2 THICK coats of Pinata-Yada. It was probably the equivalent of about 3 regular coats. I just left a lot on the brush while swiping it across the nail. Then to speed up dry time with the thick glitter layers, SV always helps!

      Delete
  3. i'm excited to try some jelly sammiches....i've purchased the Zoya Gloss collection, but haven't put them to use. thanks for this post to get me motivated!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, glad to help! I got the Gloss Collection recently too and can't WAIT to try it - they are gorgeous polishes ;]

      Delete
  4. I have never really understood the whole jelly sandwich thing either but your explanation helped a lot :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks great! i have yet to attempt this. your pos tmade me think of the jellies i have and what i can make work, great post havent seen one on jelly sandwiches just heard of itl

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your thoughts and opinions, so please comment below! I read them all and try to respond to each and every one :) Please be respectful and no link dropping - any such comments will be deleted. If you want me to check out your blog, email me at nailsforthesakeofsanity@gmail.com. Thanks <3