Saturday, January 5, 2013

Let it Snow Challenge: Day 6 - Winter Solstice

Hi everyone! Today I have my 6th mani for the Let it Snow Challenge and the theme is - Winter Solstice! I'll be honest, I completely had ZERO ideas for what to do for this week, so I consulted the girls in the group, my boyfriend, Google, everything! Finally, I found this photo for inspiration!


And this is my attempt at recreating it (the top part anyway) on my nails!


First, I did a gradient using Zoya Natty, Essie School of Hard Rocks, China Glaze Elephant Walk, and Milani White on the Spot. I posted this photo on Instagram to show Step 1 - I don't tape off my gradients because I'm too lazy so I end up with this lol! It comes right off in the shower though, so I don't worry about it too much.


Anyway, from there, I sponged on a little sun, and I attempted the arc of the moon with a striping brush. It didn't turn out quite as good as I hoped, but you get the idea! Then I added two coats of Dollish Polish You'll Shoot Yer Eye Out, Kid! I won this polish in Wishes of a Blue Eyed Girl's giveaway and I LOVE it! It's perfect for the look of snow :)







I love the translucent glitters in the Dollish Polish! I tried to capture them in a few different angles so you could see how bright blue they can get. Then in certain lights, they look yellow. It's really pretty in the sun!

So what do you think of my Winter Solstice mani? I'd love to hear your thoughts below! And don't forget to check out the other ladies' take on this week's theme! :)

Kelly

8 comments:

  1. This looks amazing! You'll Shoot Yer Eye Out, Kid! really does give the look of snow, it looks so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG these are so freaking amazing! I absolutely am in love with them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Heather! I was pretty happy with how they turned out :)

      Delete
  3. Absolutely gorgeous! I love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are gorgeous! And what a perfect picture to base it on!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Kelly, this is a stunning mani!! :D

    ~ Yun

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your thoughts and opinions, so please comment below! I read them all and try to respond to each and every one :) Please be respectful and no link dropping - any such comments will be deleted. If you want me to check out your blog, email me at nailsforthesakeofsanity@gmail.com. Thanks <3